Speech and Language Therapist
Edel is a speech and language therapist with fourteen years of experience spanning a career in Ireland, the UK and Australia. She holds a post graduate diploma in speech and language therapy from City University, London and a professional expertise in a range of settings including community health, disability, education and most recently, private practice.
With a passion for communication and self-expression, Edel thoroughly values the right for every person to understand their world and to have their message heard.
Since communication learning best takes place during enjoyable shared experiences, she utilises a social developmental approach with a positive emphasis on interaction and play, when working with children. Edel has a warm and holistic approach and is dedicated to providing high quality evidence-based assessment and intervention.
Working collaboratively with the team around each child to set individualised, realistic and meaningful goals is a cornerstone to Edels’ practice. She empowers parents and guardians with the tools to direct their children towards effective communication and liaises closely with other relevant professionals such as school staff etc., to help each child reach their full potential across all their interactive settings.
Edel is committed to her continued professional development in order to provide up to date best practice for her clients. For a full list of her services and her post qualification training and certification to date, see below.
Edel provides assessment, diagnosis and therapy in the following, some of which may require input from other professionals:
- Early Intervention for Children with Complex Needs
- Speech Sound Delay and Disorders
- Childhood Apraxia of Speech
- Late Talkers
- Pragmatic Language Difficulties and Social Skills
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Learning and Reading Difficulties
- Chromosomal Disorders – e.g Down Syndrome
- Cranio-facial Disorders – e.g Cleft Palate
- Selective Mutism
- Voice Difficulties
Edel also provides home/school visits, group therapy and training to preschool and school staff on a range of areas such as play skills, oral language and literacy, phonological awareness, cued articulation and voice care for teachers and other professional voice users.
Post Qualification Training to Date
- Certified training in DIR Floortime and Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS). Training on principles of TEACHH.
- Certified training in Intensive Interaction Therapy.
- Certified Hanen It Takes Two to Talk Program Facilitator Training.
- Certified Hanen Target Word Facilitator Training.
- Certified training in Lamh – Irish Key Word Signing System
- Certified Michael Palin Centre for Children who Stammer training in working with school aged children and teenagers who stammer.
- Certified Lidcombe Training for children who stammer – early intervention and school aged.
- Certified Training in Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Certified Training in PAL – Phonological Awareness for Literacy
- Training with low-tech and some hi-tech alternative and augmentative communication methods such as visual scheduling and Proloquo2Go.
- Training in Narrative Therapy and Carl Gray’s Social Stories.
Edel Fleming SLT is now taking bookings for Thursdays here at Cork Children’s Clinic.
- Assessment & Therapy
- Speech & Language
- Learning & Literacy
- ASD & Social Skills
You can contact Edel on 083 4002890 or by email at email@example.com